06 November 2011

Sydney Streets and new lens

It was a business trip. Just 3 days. It also rained and it was 'un'-usually cold for September end. But I did manage to get about 2 hours of street photography. Sydney is a beautiful city, and its easy to get tempted to shoot every street corner, every building and every quaint shop. It was also the first time I was shooting streets outside India. Well ok, I have shot in Singapore, but not really serious street. I was determined not to let go this opportunity - what with my newly acquired 35 mm prime lens. So here are select shots from the day. Most of it is shot in "The Rocks" - the old Sydney and near the Sydney Harbor Area. "The Rocks" looks like as if the clock has been winded back 100 years. Lovely old world charm.
Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer
In my own opinion, I was probably a little too far away from my subjects. I think it is probably because I wanted to get a little more of the beautiful environment but more importantly the new 35 mm prime lens. Having used an 18-55mm glass earlier on the streets, it was easy to zoom and get close to subject. I now needed to step closer - it is not always easy and natural. I also needed to frame my shots in my head first. I needed to compose my shots carefully, I needed to anticipate frame and walk to get them. I have been shooting quiet a lot with 35mm since then. My recent Chowpatty Series of photographs are all shot with them. So, once you get used to a prime lens, you would not want to go back to your old kid lens. I was told street photography gets more interesting and engaging, as you get wider. I know why it is said so. Well, the jargon and technicalities aside, how did you like the photographs. As always, your comments, feedback, brickbats - all are welcome. Do you think slide show is a better way of including photographs instead of individual photographs added in the post.

17 comments:

Anshul Dutt said...

This photograph symbolizes endless love and hope. Very good composition and I really like the post processing. It's a visual treat for me.

sunil deepak said...

I especially like two images, the one under the bridge (or the tunnel) with rows of the cars on two sides, looking like beetles. Normally I hate cars in pictures, but here they add to the composition. And I also like the image with couples on the zebra crossing - the movement of hands of the couple behind and the front couple holding hands, both make a kind of dance and the light is nice.
OTOH, I don't like slide shows - I feel they tend to make me more lazy and less selective, I tend to put on too many pictures that way, some that do not deserve to be put. So I prefer to carefully select and put them straight on! :)

Otto von Münchow said...

Great black and white street photos. My favourite is the first of them.

Nimish said...

hey wonderful street shots considering you had such a limited time. I really love the 5th one with the couple crossing the street and the two men behind having synchronised arm movements:P even the first photograph with the old couple is good. 35mm prime should be a joy to shoot with. prime lenses makes street photography that much more challenging. I had the pleasure of using a 12mm prime lens on the Olympus EP3 some months back, n i was floored with the image quality and how much more you could get in a frame. 
Just one thing, i would like it if the images were placed one below the other instead of in a slideshow as the navigation is very easy and you dont have to wait for each image to load. 

magiceye said...

beautiful captures all!

prefer the individual photographs instead of a slide show

Georgie Mathew said...

Hi Mayank, good stuff here but as I see, a little more WOW can be added to many of your images by moving closer (as you've rightly pointed out yourself) 
Great you got a 35mm lens !! on my wishlist too! Hope the workshop is going on fine as well :)
And as far as the photos, I believe, bigger is better :) But your b&w have come up well on the slideshow. So, one pic or many, its your choice 

Best
Georgie

mayankpandey said...

Hey @anshul - looks like you are trying to talk of the first photograph. It was a slide show so a bit confused. Maybe you saw this on a handphone. Thanks nonetheless. Its interesting you say post processing, coz there is none in all of these. 

mayankpandey said...

Hi Sunil - thanks. I wish I could visit your page but cant seem to find the link. thanks for dropping by. The shot under the tunnel was from an overbridge, it was quiet late (almost dark to naked eye). Good that you share your feedback on slide shows. I wonder as a reader do you like a slideshow or scrolling through a post.

mayankpandey said...

Thanks OM for dropping by. The first is my fav too - its kind of timeless shot. Do visit again.

mayankpandey said...

Thanks Nimish. I am glad you liked a couple. How is Olympus EP3 working for you. Its a micro 4/3rd right? As for slideshow I think readers feedback is much in line with yours.

mayankpandey said...

Thanks magiceye.. individual photographs it will be in future. 

mayankpandey said...

Thanks Georgie. Oh yeah i needed to be closer. Was a bit tentative. As for 35mm feedback, it is ofcourse  great lens, very fast autofocus and low light results. Getting down to f1.8 is so awesome. My suggestion is consider a wider lens like 24mm as well, a 35mm on a crop sensor like yours and mine is a 50mm and a bit tight for wide angle street scenes. A 24mm will be 35mm and probably better. 
My workshop is on 12/ 13th so yeah eager to get there. cheers - m

GeetS said...

beautiful ...really nice!

57andrew said...

Nice series. I know the area reasonably well and like The Rocks image a lot. Yess Right is also strong. Doesn't need rotating etc. The whole idea of what constitutes a good "street photograph" is something I intend to blog on having read "Street Photography Now". I think you will like Woking with the 35mm. Well done for just a couple of hours 'work'.

mayankpandey said...

Thank you Andrew. If you can nail 'What makes a good street photograph' work - that would be a very intresting post. Look forward to it. Thanks for sharing the Street Photography Now bit - will check it up.

Megha Sarin said...

Such beautiful pictures!

Cloudninetalks said...

Wow again...you street photography is just awesome. I love the play of black and white in the pictures:)